Sunday, August 22, 2010

Glorious Aglaonema Batik





Glorious...glorious...indeed..when Aglaonema Batik has blooms!! I have been keeping this plant for over several years. When we moved to our new place, I transplanted the plant into several pots. Now I am seeing blooms in one of the plants! Oh, they look lovely. It never crosses my mind to check about Aglaonema Batik (some called it Snow Queen) and its blooming habit. So, it's really a surprise when I see them blooming. The blooms are very similar to Peace Lily.


It is said that the blooms will give adverse effect to the Aglaonema plant. This is because the flower production process consumes a lot of energy (nutrients) from the plant. As a result, the plant will produce new leaves that are smaller, sometimes distorted and lacking in color appearing pale. Thus, the flowers are usually cut off and not allowed to bloom.


However, I am quite reluctant to cut off the flower as this is the first time my Aglaonema plant is blooming. So, I am going to keep the flowers. Will shower the plant with lotsa tender, loving care to ensure it will not suffer from the effect of producing these flowers. Hope some fertilizer will help it recover from the loss of nutrients. Cross my fingers!

10 comments:

Malar said...

This bloom is pretty! similar to peace lily! Infact the varigated leaves looks so lush by itself! Well done!

Stephanie said...

Oh wow that's so cool! The flowers look outstanding. Oh I think that's really no need to discard them. Let them be. I am sure your aglaonema will be fine ;-)

One said...

JC, I have this plant too. Do you have peace lily? My peace lily has never flowered. Any tips?

kitchen flavours said...

I agree with you, do not cut the flower! It is so elegant looking, I have never seen it on this plant before. Enjoy it while it lasts!

James David said...

Really nice to see all those cute little flowers.
Please do not prune them, rather enjoy all of the blooms while it last.
The plant is quite hardy and may able to take all the abuse - Im pretty sure it can handle a few blooms without habving any trouble.

J.C. said...

Hi all, glad that we all share the same thoughts ~ keep the flowers. I think we gardeners prefer to keep the plants alive rather than kill or cut them prematurely.

Hi One, I have 2 pots of Peace Lily. They don't bloom often too. I don't have tips on how to get them to bloom. But whenever they bloom, I bloom too! I'll be on cloud nine.

One said...

Hmmm...Maybe the secret is to plant peace lily in pots.

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

I thonk the leaves' pattern is exceptional! Very nice!

Autumn Belle said...

The blooms are hard to get and such a treasure to have. I'm glad you decided to keep it.

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Most plants will bloom somehow. In my case of kunyit or tumeric, it does flower too, but that coincide with the tiredness of living or rather it has seen enough and signaling its readiness to go. I hope your batik plant will continue living and growing..... ~bangchik

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Custom Search