Wednesday, June 30, 2010

My Backyard Garden


Since we moved to our new home in March, I have planted various kind of edible plants on this vegetable bed in the backyard of our house, as seen on the photo above.


It started with the planting of Thai Sweet Basil. That was followed by the Indian Borage. When the Indian Borage started to get invasive, I had to trim some of them. Then I sowed some fresh chilli seeds and now I have sooooo many chilli plants (high density, in my opinion). I have also grown 3 garlic plants. My garlic sprouted and I thought it would be fun to place them into the soil and see the outcome later. My lady finger plant is dying. I just left the stalk in the soil. It's time to remove them.



The chilli plant is grown in my little vegetable bed at my backyard. This is also where I dry my laundry. A skylight shelter is build over it. Although this section gets direct sunlight throughout the day, it is sheltered from the rain.
Although my chilli plants have many buds, but they will drop off. So far, it has yet to produce any chilli yet. I wonder what went wrong.


Another issue that I have with some of my chilli plants are their leaves are dropping. Many of the branches have turned bald and eventually the plant died. Mmmm...what have I done to kill them? Too much water? Not enough sun? Can anyone enlighten me on this? This is my first time growing chillies from seed. I am excited to see the fruit. Unfortunately no such luck yet. Any tips will be appreciated.

9 comments:

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

A very promising pokok cili. It is most healthy and beautiful at this age. ~bangchik

Stephanie said...

This is a good arangement. I wish I have a special vegetable bed like yours. Sorry I do not know much about chilly. Maybe, once in a while collect some rain water to water the whole vegetable bed so that the collected minerals from tap water will be flushed off as well. I do this for my sheltered plants ;-)

My EM died due to clogging in my pot. I didn't notice till last minute. By that time, all the flowers and leaves have dropped already. Fortunately, I manage to salvage the stem to start a new plant again.

Malar said...

Nice vege bed! May be it's due to lack of polination? becoz i'm facing same problem with Tomato!

J.C. said...

Thanks all for your comments.

Aaron, I didn't know that mealy bugs will be attracted to chilli plant too. Oh no! I hope it's not them. But I have found some mealy bugs on my Lady B(rinjal). They must be the culprit. Will get myself a magnifying glass in future so that I can stare right into them!

Steph, thanks for the suggestion to use rain water. I will try to do that too.

Autumn Belle said...

I agree with Malar, maybe the flowers are not pollinated yet. It may also be due to the consistent hot weather, hence the blossom drop. Did you use any fertilizer? They don't like the nitrogen granular type. However, I see that your chilli plant is green and healthy.

J.C. said...

Thanks Autumn Belle.

I use the goat dung fertilizer and also vermicompost (compost made from earthworm) to add nutrients to my vegetables.

I will take some close-up photos of my ailing chilli plants. Hee..hee..from far, the plants do look healthy ya! Ha ha it's deceiving.

Blur Ting said...

Chilli plants get diseased very easily. Check under the leaves or sometimes they are in the roots.

I am impressed that you can grow garlic. Do they grow up like leeks? Show photos!

J.C. said...

Ting, I will try to get some shots of the garlic for you. Lately I have been coming home from work after dark.

Ismail N said...

Gardening is a challenging but fun experience. I planted my chillies almost 1 month ago but till now it's a mere 2 inches tall. At least your chillies look big. Maybe I was wrong to plant them on a nice mixed compost soil. My mom's chillies are planted on semi hard soil and they are thriving! Green thumb?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Custom Search